Taken from History of the Allegheny Evangelical Lutheran Synod” published in 1918 by Lutheran Publication Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Occasional services were held here beginning 1846, when the Schellsburg charge was formed. Reverend Kast began regular services in 1852. A church building was agitated but not begun until 1853. The deed for a lot, sixty by one hundred sixty feet, was granted by John and Catherine Leighty to Conrad Ickes and Fredrick Michtley, trustees, on June 25, 1853 for thirty dollars. The church, a frame building, thirty two by forty feet, costing eight hundred dollars, was dedicated in November, and a congregation was organized that same day. This church was used until 1886. It belonged to the St. Clairsville charge from 1865 until 1869.
At a congregational meeting held on January 1, 1882, the following committee was appointed to seek a location for a new church, viz: Adam Ickes, N. H. Wright. Samuel Wright, D. W. Prosser and George Stufft. An article of agreement was made April 1, 1882, for the present lot between Austin Wright, owner and the following council: Austin Wright, Isaac Wright, Adam Ickes, Samuel Whittaker (deacons) and H. N. Wright (elder). The sum was two hundred dollars and the deed conveyed on May 20. The cornerstone was bid on July 18, 1886 with J.M. Rice assisting the pastor, Reverend Gruver. At the dedication on February 2, 1887, Reverend W. W. Criley of Altoona preached, and also Reverend Rice of St. Clairsville.
The building is brick. thirtysix by sixtyfour feet including the spire and the pulpit recess. The windows are cathedral, stained glass and memorial. The cost was four thousand dollars, a fourth of which was raised the day of the dedication.